Some have estimated that as many as 20% of all flights are delayed. Delayed flights are now so commonplace that they scarcely warrant a second glance from weary travelers. But what causes these delays?
Most common reasons for delayed flights today
1. Mechanical Issues
One of the most common reasons for delayed flights is mechanical issues. Before every flight, airline staff performs a series of maintenance checks to ensure that the plane is in good working order. However, sometimes these checks miss something, and a problem only manifests itself once the plane is already in the air. In other cases, a previously undetected problem may suddenly crop up, necessitating an unscheduled landing. Due to some mechanical issue, 20% of flights were delayed in the US in 2018.
Another common cause of flight delays is bad weather. High winds, thunderstorms, and heavy rain can all make it too dangerous to take off or land a plane. In some cases, a delay may be caused by bad weather at the plane’s destination, meaning that the plane has to wait until the weather clears up before it can land. Also, heavy snowfall can prevent planes from taking off or landing.
3. Air Traffic Control
Air traffic control is the organization responsible for directing aircraft in the skies and ensuring that they maintain a safe distance from one another. Delays caused by air traffic control are usually due to congestion, meaning there are simply too many planes in the sky trying to land at the same time. In other cases, a delay may be caused by a ground stop, which is when all flights bound for a particular airport are halted due to bad weather or some other problem.
4. Runway congestion
One of the most common reasons for delayed flights is runway congestion. This occurs when there are too many planes trying to take off or land at the same time, and the airport doesn’t have enough space to accommodate them all. This can often be caused by bad weather, as planes bound for other airports may be diverted to the airport with a clear runway.
4. Airport Congestion
Airport congestion is another common cause of flight delays. When an airport is busy, it can take longer to get planes in and out. This can lead to delays as planes have to wait for gates to open up or for other planes to take off first. Airport congestion can also be caused by bad weather, as people may be trying to fly out of the airport before a storm hits.
5. Staffing Issues
Another common cause of flight delays is staffing issues. This can include everything from a shortage of pilots to a problem with the ground crew. In some cases, an airline may not have enough staff to man all of its flights, which can lead to delays. Staffing issues can also be caused by a problem with the scheduling, such as when a flight is scheduled to depart before the staff arrives.
6. Crew Issues
Crew issues are another common cause of delayed flights. Sometimes, a plane will be ready to go but the crew won’t be. This can happen for a variety of reasons, including sickness, scheduling conflicts, or simply not being able to find the crew. In other cases, the crew may be present but not properly rested, which can also lead to delays.
What to do in case of a flight is delayed today
1. Check in with the airline: The first thing you should do when your flight is delayed is to check in with the airline. You can usually do this at the airport or online. The airline will be able to give you information about what caused the delay and how long it is expected to last.
2. Stay calm: It can be frustrating to deal with a delayed flight, but it’s important to stay calm. Getting angry or stressed out will only make the situation worse.
3. Be patient: Delays are often out of the control of the airline, so it’s important to be patient. The airline staff is doing their best to get everyone where they need to go, and they will appreciate your understanding.
4. Make other plans: If you have a flexible travel schedule, try to make other plans. This may mean changing your flights or making other arrangements. If you can’t make other plans, try to find something to do at the airport to pass the time.
5. Stay informed: It’s important to stay informed about the status of your flight. The airline will usually provide updates, but you can also check websites or apps for flight information.
6. Check for compensation: In some cases, you may be entitled to compensation for a delayed flight. This may include a refund or voucher for future travel. Check with the airline to see if you are eligible for compensation.
How to rebook a delayed flight today?
Rebooking a delayed flight can be a bit of a hassle, but there are a few things you can do to make it easier.
1. Check the airline’s website: The first thing you should do is check the airline’s website for information about delays and cancellations. This will give you an idea of what flights are available and how to rebook your flight.
2. Call the airline: If you can’t find the information you need on the website, call the airline. The customer service representative will be able to help you rebook your flight.
3. Use a travel agent: If you’re having trouble rebooking your flight, you may want to use a travel agent. They can often find better deals and make the process easier.
4. Be flexible: When you’re rebooking your flight, be flexible with your dates and times. This will give you a better chance of finding a flight that works for you.
5. Have patience: Delays happen, and it’s important to have patience when dealing with them. The airline staff is doing their best to accommodate everyone, and they will appreciate your understanding.
Delayed flights are a common occurrence in the world of air travel. While they can be frustrating, it’s important to stay calm and be patient. In most cases, the airline is doing its best to get everyone where they need to go. If your flight is delayed, be sure to check in with the airline and stay informed about the status of your flight. You may also be eligible for compensation from the airline. If you need to rebook your flight, be flexible and have patience. Using a travel agent can also be helpful. following these tips will help you deal with a delayed flight in the best way possible.